The platforming...

Tell us what you would like to see in Hellpoint
StudiodeKadent

The platforming...

Postby StudiodeKadent » Mon May 15, 2017 10:27 am

Alright, I apologize for making another "whining" thread but seriously, the platforming is very frustrating. In the "obviously unfair/cheap difficulty" sense. Not the usual jumps, those are okay... But the "getting up the spiralling platforms in the cylindrical room past the underground room with the fat red guys" segment is rage-inducing. I'm sure you guys are very familiar with the fact that making platforming which "feels good" is very hard to do, and I know the game is still in Alpha stages (IIRC), but the current state of the platforming combined with the "lose all axions, back to checkpoint, fight way back to super-frustrating platform section" mechanic is frankly unfair.

I guess if the mechanical limitations of Unity prevent the platforming from being made more forgiving, perhaps an item which allows instant recovery from falling death at the cost of, say, a percentage of your axions, and you automatically reappear just at the start of the jumping section, could be implemented? It would certainly lower my blood pressure.

Either way my previous comments still remain - the atmosphere of this game is great and is enticing me to endure tearing my hair out. But yeah, thanks again and sorry for posting more trash on your forum.
LightStriker
Site Admin

Re: The platforming...

Postby LightStriker » Mon May 15, 2017 8:33 pm

StudiodeKadent wrote:Alright, I apologize for making another "whining" thread but seriously, the platforming is very frustrating. In the "obviously unfair/cheap difficulty" sense. Not the usual jumps, those are okay... But the "getting up the spiralling platforms in the cylindrical room past the underground room with the fat red guys" segment is rage-inducing. I'm sure you guys are very familiar with the fact that making platforming which "feels good" is very hard to do, and I know the game is still in Alpha stages (IIRC), but the current state of the platforming combined with the "lose all axions, back to checkpoint, fight way back to super-frustrating platform section" mechanic is frankly unfair.

I guess if the mechanical limitations of Unity prevent the platforming from being made more forgiving, perhaps an item which allows instant recovery from falling death at the cost of, say, a percentage of your axions, and you automatically reappear just at the start of the jumping section, could be implemented? It would certainly lower my blood pressure.

Either way my previous comments still remain - the atmosphere of this game is great and is enticing me to endure tearing my hair out. But yeah, thanks again and sorry for posting more trash on your forum.

Anything specific makes the platforming annoying? Have you tried using the jump + fast attack to give yourself a boost?
StudiodeKadent

Postby StudiodeKadent » Tue May 16, 2017 3:00 am

LightStriker wrote:
StudiodeKadent wrote:Alright, I apologize for making another "whining" thread but seriously, the platforming is very frustrating. In the "obviously unfair/cheap difficulty" sense. Not the usual jumps, those are okay... But the "getting up the spiralling platforms in the cylindrical room past the underground room with the fat red guys" segment is rage-inducing. I'm sure you guys are very familiar with the fact that making platforming which "feels good" is very hard to do, and I know the game is still in Alpha stages (IIRC), but the current state of the platforming combined with the "lose all axions, back to checkpoint, fight way back to super-frustrating platform section" mechanic is frankly unfair.

Anything specific makes the platforming annoying? Have you tried using the jump + fast attack to give yourself a boost?

The whole "instant death for one mistake" thing, combined with just how imprecise the controls feel, makes it extraordinarily unforgiving, particularly in context.

Haven't tried the jump/fast attack thing though. By "boost" you mean its a grapple/mantle?
LightStriker
Site Admin

Postby LightStriker » Tue May 16, 2017 4:03 am

StudiodeKadent wrote:
The whole "instant death for one mistake" thing, combined with just how imprecise the controls feel, makes it extraordinarily unforgiving, particularly in context.

Haven't tried the jump/fast attack thing though. By "boost" you mean its a grapple/mantle?

Just saying that doing a fast attack mid-jump acts like a mini-double-jump.
StudiodeKadent

Postby StudiodeKadent » Tue May 16, 2017 4:48 am

LightStriker wrote:
StudiodeKadent wrote:

Just saying that doing a fast attack mid-jump acts like a mini-double-jump.

Ahhh, thank you!

Return to “Suggestions and Feedbacks”