Why Is This Game So Compelling?!?

Tell us what you would like to see in Hellpoint
StudiodeKadent

Why Is This Game So Compelling?!?

Postby StudiodeKadent » Sun May 14, 2017 12:34 pm

Okay, after realizing that running past overly-powerful enemies is a completely legitimate tactic, I've found myself able to do quite well for myself and get to the boss. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but basically all enemies respawn... and come back stronger than when you killed them (at least the first time... I'm not sure if they continually get stronger every time they're brought back)... and this happens every time the orbit goes through the 90/270 degree segments, right? I noticed that on death, whilst all enemies respawn they do so at their base levels. This seems quite fair and it also makes it a bit easier to reclaim your Axions. Speaking of that, I also noticed that the game doesn't let you spend your Axions to the point where your Axions hit zero; is this intended to create more situations where you have to kill "yourself" to reclaim those axions? Because it seems a bit inconsistent in that if one dies and respawns and then gets killed by the first enemy one sees then one will still die and respawn without any Axions at all so I don't see why the game tries to increase the chances of death-whilst-holding-Axions in the first place.

Anyway, the reason I returned to this forum to give this message is that the game is very, very compelling (even for a non-Soulsborne-devotee). What makes it for me is the atmosphere, which is very dark and foreboding and imposing. The feel is both gothic and Lovecraftian... honestly it reminds me a little bit of Warhammer 40k but with more Lovecraftian bizarreness/alien-ness/that-which-is-beyond-rational-comprehension-aya-aya-cthulhu-fh'tagn/etc. Its more claustrophobic than Bloodborne and in some ways reminds me of the original System Shock (this is a good thing!).

The other thing I find really compelling is the plot. Even though so far we only know the premise, it really is intriguing and honestly seems like it could be the best narrative in a Soulsborne game yet. I fully admit the Soulsborne style of storytelling (very cryptic, minimalist plotline with lots of lore details contained in item descriptions) frustrates me in some ways and I would hope to see audio logs and some more explicit narrative in Hellpoint. Maybe the player character should be able to see some sort of lore screen/summary in their inventory? Or replay collected audio logs or something?

I'd also like to see a map screen if possible. Or maybe just something along those lines. If relatively hardcore survival horror games like Alien: Isolation and Silent Hill 2 can have maps I don't see why a Soulsborne game cannot. I know aspects of the map are dynamic (this is a fantastic feature) but I don't think the entire level geometry rearranges itself. Hopefully. I think it makes sense to at least have a map which maps where one has been, at the very least.

All I can say is that yes, this game is addictive and its compelling. The atmosphere is top-notch and the only thing that makes me reticent about the game is the difficulty level. That seriously is the only barrier to entry (to be fair I am somewhat OCPD so I don't like playing games where I don't think I can realistically get to 50% of the achievements). As such, I guess I could say I am "ambivalently enjoying" this game so far - I fear if I enjoy it too much I may purchase a masterwork of atmosphere that comes with a huge side order of digital masochism beyond my preferred level of challenge, and end up having two or three good levels before I get stuck and eventually throw the controller at the screen in frustration.

I apologize for making another thread here to share my feedback but I think you guys deserve an update on my impressions after I've made more progress. Seriously, Hellpoint already has a fantastic atmosphere and an intriguing premise that could easily support an excellent plot. If I represent a potential expanded market (people who love horror games and love non-fantasy RPGs but don't enjoy extreme difficulty/Masochism Simulators), then I'm more than happy to let you know how I feel about your work.

I will reiterate my basic request for an easier mode or, if (as you guys stated previously) there are in-game methods to adjust/personalize the difficulty, these methods are accessible early in the game (preferably from the start) and not cryptically obtuse. Interestingly, you might consider doing something like Quake did - integrate the difficulty selection with a central hub area (maybe there'd be an "entanglement algorithm selection" or something which works as a difficulty selector?).

Thanks again for your time and I wish you all the best for Hellpoint. I'll be keeping an eye on it.
LightStriker
Site Admin

Re: Why Is This Game So Compelling?!?

Postby LightStriker » Sun May 14, 2017 12:46 pm

Hey, happy you enjoy it so far.

Running pass strong enemies is a valid tactic because it's a RPG. You level up 10-20 times, come back and kick their asses. Unlike other RPG, you don't have a set level. (Ex.: you need to be level 20 to kill level 22 enemies) Which means it's up to your own common sense to figure out which enemies to avoid and when to come back for them.

The basic enemies - for the demo - respawn after 10 mins of you surviving. They can do that twice. It is a way to ramp up the difficulty and prevent an area from becoming "empty", as unlike other souls-game we do not respawn enemies when you interact with a checkpoint.

Being unable to go to 0 axions while leveling up is a bug.

As for audio logs... Have you talked to the Mind Vessels?
StudiodeKadent

Postby StudiodeKadent » Sun May 14, 2017 1:07 pm

LightStriker wrote:Hey, happy you enjoy it so far.

The basic enemies - for the demo - respawn after 10 mins of you surviving. They can do that twice. It is a way to ramp up the difficulty and prevent an area from becoming "empty", as unlike other souls-game we do not respawn enemies when you interact with a checkpoint.

I understand. Is the full game going to involve the same thing? Or will the mechanic change? I admit I dislike the idea of enemies respawning every time I level up/interact with a breach, and I understand the respawn system as a means of keeping the level busy. You say this happens twice - do the basic enemies get stronger twice or only stronger once? And if you kill them all three times, will they stay dead after?

Being unable to go to 0 axions while leveling up is a bug.

Ahhh, got it. Thanks for the clarification.

As for audio logs... Have you talked to the Mind Vessels?

I've collected two Mind Vessels but I don't know how to talk to them. Don't you need a special machine to do it? I found the weapon modification bench (and installed an upgrade chip in my axe) but I haven't found the Mind Vessel talking machine.
LightStriker
Site Admin

Postby LightStriker » Sun May 14, 2017 2:15 pm

If you kill the same basic enemy three times, it stays dead... until you die, so they go back to level 1. Basic enemies has 3 levels. They glow more and more as they "revive".

Yes, there's a machine to interact with mind vessels.
StudiodeKadent

Postby StudiodeKadent » Sun May 14, 2017 2:20 pm

LightStriker wrote:If you kill the same basic enemy three times, it stays dead... until you die, so they go back to level 1. Basic enemies has 3 levels. They glow more and more as they "revive".

Thank you very much. I notice that you didn't actually answer my questions re. whether or not the mechanic will differ in the final release of the game. Is this something the team has not decided upon? Because I would like to know, if you're willing to divulge that information.

As for the mind vessel machine... let me guess, its somewhere AFTER the long corridor with the huge fat red guys (after you go down the elevator), right?
LightStriker
Site Admin

Postby LightStriker » Sun May 14, 2017 2:54 pm

StudiodeKadent wrote:
LightStriker wrote:If you kill the same basic enemy three times, it stays dead... until you die, so they go back to level 1. Basic enemies has 3 levels. They glow more and more as they "revive".

Thank you very much. I notice that you didn't actually answer my questions re. whether or not the mechanic will differ in the final release of the game. Is this something the team has not decided upon? Because I would like to know, if you're willing to divulge that information.

As for the mind vessel machine... let me guess, its somewhere AFTER the long corridor with the huge fat red guys (after you go down the elevator), right?

I'm sure there will be tweaks. We put 10 mins for the demo, but maybe in the final game it will be more linked to the Black Hole in some way. Just not sure yet. The demo gave us a lot of info on our ideas.

And yes, it's near the room with the fat red dudes.
StudiodeKadent

Postby StudiodeKadent » Sun May 14, 2017 3:09 pm

LightStriker wrote:
I'm sure there will be tweaks. We put 10 mins for the demo, but maybe in the final game it will be more linked to the Black Hole in some way. Just not sure yet. The demo gave us a lot of info on our ideas.

Understood. Well I'm very glad to hear it'll be linked to the Black Hole orbit cycle... that greatly improves thematic consistency and the whole feel of the Black Hole as the Ominous Faceless Malevolence toying with the player. Excellent to know!

And yes, it's near the room with the fat red dudes.

Oh joy. Ahh well, I'll try again in the near future to crack that little nut. I do hope in the full game it won't be as difficult to access conversations with the Mind Vessels.

Thank you very much for your assistance btw.

Return to “Suggestions and Feedbacks”